For many people with mental illness or substance use disorders, inpatient treatment may not be the realistic or best option. This means that using a structured system like a partial hospitalization program (PHP) is their best chance to enter into healthy recovery.
In this guide on how to start a PHP, we’ll cover topics including:
- What services partial hospitalization treatment provide
- Who needs PHP programs
- How to start a partial hospitalization program
- The benefits of a PHP program
We hope you use this information to see if a PHP is right for you or your loved one so that you can get the proper treatment plan started as soon as possible.
What Services Does Partial Hospitalization Treatment (PHP) Provide?
Partial hospitalization programs vary based on patient needs, but they are all structured and ongoing outpatient mental health treatments designed to aid long-term recovery. Many PHP treatments consist of a mixture of the following:
- Psychiatric assessment and personal evaluation
- Individual treatment planning
- Drug and alcohol screening
- Medical and lab testing
- Detox programming
- Medication management
- Evidence-based therapies
- Intervention services
- Adult skill-building courses
- Family counseling
- Group therapy or support groups
- Individual Behavioral Therapy
- Discharge planning
Depending on patient needs, some of these treatment programs may be recommended at a higher frequency or duration than others, determined during the assessment and individual treatment planning portion of care.
Who Needs PHP Programs?
Partial hospitalization programs are typically best for people who meet the following criteria:
- In stable medical condition
- Willing to participate in treatment
- Not at risk of self-harm or violence toward others
- Have difficulty at home, work, school, or other daily environments
- Have other forms of support for treatment and rehabilitation
- Don’t require or cannot receive 24-hour monitored inpatient programs
PHP programs allow for people to receive a level of care that is consistent and structured but affords them the flexibility to maintain their daily lives, work, and home environments. Partial hospitalization programs are still designed for people who are taking recovery seriously and do not represent a half-measure for addiction or mental illness in any way.
How to Start a Partial Hospitalization Program
To start a partial hospitalization program, you should first find a PHP that specializes in your treatment needs. After all, the right or wrong provider can make a world of difference for addiction or mental health recovery. Most partial hospitalization program startup needs include:
1. A professional assessment from a mental health professional
2. Determining your insurance coverage and benefits
3. Individual assessment from the PHP
4. Individualized treatment plan
5. Partial treatment plan scheduling
6. Length of treatment and next steps
The pest PHP providers work to afford you the flexibility you need surrounding your life while holding you to intensive outpatient care standards; this makes partial hospitalization programs effective for a certain subset of people who need nuanced help for recovery.
What are the Benefits of a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)?
When considering a partial hospitalization program, it is worth weighing the benefits of it against having no treatment plan at all, as well as full hospitalization programs. This can help us overcome fears of entering into any program while making the best decision about what your PHP can offer. Ultimately, we should be using all the information possible to choose a program and enact change.
Some of the benefits of PHP programs include:
- Personalized behavioral health care.
- Individual therapy and treatment plans
- Regular interactions with medical professionals
- Intense treatment without hospitalization
- High success rate vs. other outpatient care
- Affordable treatment vs. hospital or other inpatient stays
- Easier transition back into independence
Find Partial Hospitalization Treatment for Mental Health or Substance Use Near You
At Fountain Hills Recovery, we offer an intense partial hospitalization program for drug and alcohol recovery. Our team of experts creates rehabilitation programs tailored to our patient’s exact needs and can be combined with pre-intake detox or hospitalization. If you or your loved one is struggling with addiction and needs treatment, please reach out to us for an assessment today. Together, we can help break the cycle of addiction.